It’s Sunday evening so it’s time to share updates on what has recently happened in my project.
I have to admit that progress isn’t as significant as I wished. This post is not to make excuses but I have to say a word or two to whitewash myself a bit. I started new job somewhere in the middle of February. The office is around 60 km from Dublin so I have to commute every day. To make long story short: I wake up at 4.30 am and I back home around 9 pm. That’s a long day…
Now, let’s get back to business. I want to follow the Guillotine algorithm in my project. Some may say that it’s not the best I could do. I agree, but for the time being that’s my decision. Who knows, maybe if I have some time to spare I will go for something better. We’ll see.
New things implemented from last week:
1) ArrangerResults class introduced. That allows items to be distributed into multiple sheets in case if one is not enough;
2) Calculate method in Arranger class can now check against an item being to big for declared sheet and exclude it from calculation
3) Item sorting is now achieved with classes that implment ICompare interface, which is instantiated by Arranger class
4) Checking if an item can fit into container and sectioning of remaining part of container after placing an item into it are now moved to separate methods in Arragner class (respectively method CheckIfFits and DoSection)
5) ArrangerResultsPNG class introduced which allows to create PNG file for arrangement
All the code I have written so far still needs some serious tweaks and refinements. However I am hoping to be finished with ArrangerLibrary by the end of this month. I’m sure that some updates will be required after this deadline has passed. But my plan for the application is that it’s going to be more expanded: more or less it will be possible to manage sheet cutting projects, store them and edit. This is still kinda blurry vision.
So, that’s it for today. Thanks for your attention. The code can be viewed on GitHub (https://github.com/mickaj/SheetMetalArranger). I encourage also to view other repos in my GitHub account. I would much appreciate your comments, suggestions and criticism.
Thanks and good luck!